Search This Blog

A Cry in the Darkness

As we slide further into the Conservative Abyss, a few of us who remember the New Deal and what having a real Middle Class have something to say to add fuel to the teabag fire.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Romney is a Quitter

Again, I knew Mitt Romney.  I knew him his Freshman year at Stanford.  I met him through my good friend and teammate, Mark Marquess, who was Mitt's roommate, and my teammate on the Freshman (and later Varsity) football team.  

I can say that now, because Stanford, where Mark is the baseball coach, has divulged this information.  

Mitt was a nice enough guy, but reminded us constantly of his "top boy" status; which is being ranked first in his exclusive prep school.  He had an almost obsessive need to be the best, to be the one who everyone looked up to.

I always had the feeling that Mitt did not like Stanford, he left after his Freshman year, because of the competition that existed.  There were nothing but "top boys" at Stanford.  Everyone was in the upper 2% of his/her class.  Everyone was bright and  talented.

Mitt missed being looked up to.  At Stanford he was just another of a whole class of excellent athletes and students.  He could not stand that.  He could not compete with the  Stanford freshmen.

In fact, I remember the phrase on our Frosh Book:  "There is no greater burden than great potential".  Mitt could not take that, he quit.

It was hard to be sure, to acclimate to the unbelievable talent that surrounded us, both athletically and academically.  I struggled for awhile, until I realized that I was still who I was from my family background and upbringing, and I could compete, I just had to stay within myself and work.

Of course, I was a mechanic's kid, the first member of my family to graduate from college, the smallest active member of the Stanford Varsity for two years on scholarship; if anyone had trouble competing it was me.

And Mitt quit.  And I, a 47% member, did not!

Of course, today, because I am on Medicare and get a state teacher's pension and small social security payment, I am a member of Romney's 47%.  I am a Stanford graduate, football letter winner, possess a Masters Degree with many Credentials, spent 35 years teaching and managing the education system of this great country, did not quit, and now am a member of the 47%.  In short, I am not rich!

But I did adapt, compete at the highest level, and succeed.  It was not easy, but it could be done.

Mitt quit.  That's right, he quit.  The competition, the homesickness was too great, so he quit.  He went on his mission, dodged the draft, and finished at BYU.

BYU?  He picked BYU over Stanford?  I still can't get over that!

Now, he basically has told the truth, for once, that he hates the 47%, who are mooching off the government, who are "entitlement" bound.  He sneers at those who have lost out in the capitalist competition that he so espouses.  The millions of the poor, the elderly who are under social security and medicare, he says he will not do anything for.

He will serve the rich, the well born.   He will be the top boy!

The fact is this is the same old Mitt I knew at Stanford.  In effect he does not want to adapt his views to the reality that there are many people in trouble in this country right now.  He is quitting on the American Dream!  Every time I think about the way he depicts the 47% as whining about their entitlements, it greatly angers me.

Mitt could not stand the competition that Stanford represented (and represents).  He yearned for his priviliged life, his rich friends, he missed being the "top boy".  He could not compete:   SO HE QUIT!

That's right, he quit.  He cut and ran.  He is only really comfortable when he is in an environment that is fixed so he can win, he can be the top boy forever.

The guy is an incredible hypocrite he is messed up...God Help us from the Quitter becoming the real top boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment