Search This Blog

A Cry in the Darkness

As we slide further into the Conservative Abyss, a few of us who remember the New Deal and what having a real Middle Class have something to say to add fuel to the teabag fire.

Friday, January 18, 2013

True Sportsmanship

Wow...Jesus just tapped me on the shoulder when I watched this....it reminds me of Steve Anderson. When I taught RSP (Special Education) Steve was in my class. Steve had been hit by a car when he was little.

Steve probably belonged in a "more restricted environment". But his parents insisted he be in RSP. He had a personal aide, he was in a wheel chair, and was pretty messed up. But his parents were adamant that he be treated like a regular kid.

So we tried, we really tried. I remember one day, when Steve's aide was sick. I had a couple students push Steve to adaptive PE. Shasta High is a hilly campus. Evidently Steve's wheelchair brake let go, and Steve went down a hill, into the street and he tumbled out of the wheelchair.

I remember when I found out, I figured my teaching days were over.

Steve's parents came to school, took him to the doctor for stitches, and thanked me for treating Steve like a regular kid!

Steve couldn't talk. He grunted, and laughed, and we taught him how to read, do math, and some history I think. You just didn't know, because he was severely damaged.

I had Steve in class for two years. As a senior he went into regular classes. Again, I don't know how much he learned, but he did laugh, and the kids loved him.

And finally graduation came. His parents insisted Steve go through the ceremony. So we practiced. And practiced.

He was supposed to go across the stage via wheelchair but we planned something. You see Steve could walk with great assistance.

So, when his name was called, I had the honor of hoisting him up, thrust my arm under his armpit, and we struggled together across the stage.

And the last few steps, as the crowd realized what was happening and rose as one, I felt Jesus hand on our shoulders.

That was probably the best opportunity I ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment