Search This Blog

A Cry in the Darkness

As we slide further into the Conservative Abyss, a few of us who remember the New Deal and what having a real Middle Class have something to say to add fuel to the teabag fire.

Friday, November 9, 2012

We Didn't

I had a dream last night.

I dreamed I saw hundreds of people standing in line, waiting hours to vote.  They were standing, often, in the ruins of a recent Hurricane.  They stood patiently, offered coffee by volunteers from the Democratic Party while the Republicans stayed away.

I dreamed of the Republicans in the background hoping and scheming to get people off the line, forcing  voters to stay home.

They didn't.

I dreamed of women, being elected to the U.S. Senate in record numbers.  I dreamed of Republicans, shouting that they know what decisions women should make during the most difficult times of their lives.  I dreamed that women agreed to let religious zealots take control of their bodies.

They didn't.

I dreamed that voters would buy the con that people were dependent on government, that it was killing their spirit.  I dreamed that people would agree about this evil, and would vote to end programs that were keeping millions of elderly citizens living in comfort.

They didn't.

I dreamed that voters would turn their back on the millions of immigrants, that we all were once, and vote for policies that would punish and not welcome.  I dreamed that the walls would be approved by the voters.

They didn't.

Finally, I dreamed that the "I Have a Dream Today" of Martin Luther King would die as he did, in a  wave of racist reaction; that people of color cannot lead, that only whites should be President.  I dreamed that American citizens would renounce the we, and embrace the me and kill the social contract  we all share with this generation and the next.

We didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment